Monday, April 7, 2008

Weekend Recap

Well, wasn't that interesting. This weekend I actually got my husband to sit down with me to watch the Derby preps and, for the first time this year, he's showing interest. Not much, mind you, but some. He does like to have some knowledge of who's running so that he can make not completely unintelligent picks come Derby day and then rub them in my face when they come in ahead of my own. Bastard. But enough of that. There were many questiones to be answered this weekend, and many answers were given.

Wood Memorial

After this race was won I turned to my husband and said, "Well that answers one question for me." Dearest husband was obviously confused. I elaborated, "Whether War Pass was a mile and a quarter horse."

Answer: No.

However, that wasn't the only question about War Pass to be answered this weekend. People were also wondering whether his depressing Tampa Bay Derby finish was just a fluke and whether he would be able to come back from it. The answer to that was a resounding yes. He is clearly a very good horse, and finished up exactly where I thought he would. He fought hard against the late closing Tale of Ekati (making a showing for himself for the first time this year), even though it seemed obvious to me that it took a lot out of him. Inner Light showed exactly what would happen to him in a race with a real pace, rabbiting up a storm (thank you connections of Inner Light for giving me the chance to explain to my husband the purpose of a rabbit). Also, he was a bit hot before the race, had in fact been so fractious acting up during transport that he ripped open his chin and had to have staples put in. That doesn't exactly speak in his favor. I'm sure we'll see him on Derby day, but will we see him in the horseshoe? I think not.

Giant Moon did just about what I expected him to, and also proved that he's probably not meant to be a ten furlong horse. Court Vision came up nicely, but not nice enough. His closing drive would not have benefitted from an extra eighth of a mile, that stretch was all Tale of Ekati's. Roman Emperor proved I was right to leave him out of my pick 5 this weekend. Texas Wildcatter surprised me, fading early. All in all, it could have been a much worse outcome.

1. Court Vision- 3rd
2. War Pass- 2nd
3. Texas Wildcatter- 8th
4. Giant Moon- 4th

Still don't like Tale of Ekati. Don't intend to add him to my stable (even though I could).

Santa Anita Derby

The question for this race was whether or not Colonel John, recent winner of the Sham Stakes, was the cream of the Californian crop.

Answer: Yes.

Colonel John proved definitively that he was a better horse than El Gato Malo in this weekend's renewal of the Santa Anita Derby. Not only that, his connections had him run out an extra furlong after the finish, just to prove that distance would not be a problem. Now, the only bogie that remains for him is whether he can perform on real dirt. My guess? Sure looks like.

Bob Black Jack continues to impress by running way beyond what one would assume he could physically stand. His connections are thinking roses, but I think they'll stay west were the races are short and the dirt is fake. Coast Guard made a nice comeback, he's certainly worth a second look. Yankee Bravo...ah, well....can't win em all.

1. Yankee Bravo- 4th
2. Colonel John- 1st
3. El Gato Malo- 5th

Illinois Derby

Qestion here was whether Denis of Cork was as good as he looked in the Southwest or whether he'd gone downhill in form since then.

Answer: Somebody get that colt some skis.

Yes, well, I had a sneaking suspicion when, immediately after I added him to my RttR stable, his connections decided to move him out of Arkansas and look for a race that was a "soft touch", that he may not be the world beater we all had hoped he was. Guess that suspicion has been confirmed now. Even giving him a significant layoff and putting him in a race where he was pretty much the only big name around, he still couldn't do better than 5th. Nor, for that matter, did Atoned, the Toddster's last grasp at Derby greatness this year, do anything worthwhile. No, instead we were treated with the sight of 15-1 shot Recapturetheglory cruising fairly easily to the lead and winning his stakes debut by 4. Z Humor managed to get up for 3rd, but was so unimpressive in this mediocre company that I don't think the performance will elevate anyone's opinion of him too much.

1. Denis of Cork- 5th
2. Atoned- 4th
3. Real Appeal- last

Yikes, that's all I have to say.

Ashland Stakes

Longshot Little Belle also managed an upset this weekend over the powerhouses that are Bsharpsonata and Proud Spell. Country Star, who probably needed a prep or two before this race, acted up before the start and was never a factor. Absolutely Cindy failed to repeat her recent impressive win over the boys. In my analysis, Bsharpsonata is still all that. Look for her to head my Oaks trifecta.

1. Bsharpsonata- 2nd
2. Proud Spell- 3rd
3. Absolutely Cindy- 6th

In other news

- Eight Belles (Unbridled's Song- Away, by Dixieland Band) won the Fantasy Staks, cementing herself at the top of the filly standings. Although it looks as though she very well might give the lillies a pass and point at the roses. I gotta say, this girl sure looks like one of the boys, and I'd love to see her try them.

2 comments:

Valerie Grash said...

I'm totally with you on Bsharpsonata! Actually, with Pure Clan, Eight Belles, Bsharpsonata, Golden Doc A, et al, the Oaks looks to be infinitely more interesting than the Derby IMHO.

I can't talk you into Tale of Ekati? :)

Becky said...

Oh there's nothing wrong with him, per se, and he certainly did well in his last race. I guess I just expected more of him sooner. I know I shouldn't, that it's good to allow horses to find their stride on their own, but if that's the case I don't know why his connections were putting him into races he clearly wasn't ready for just yet. And if they don't know what's best for him, they can't guarantee to me that the Derby is the best thing for him.

You keep him, I'm sure he'll do well for you. ;)