Monday, April 28, 2008

D-day minus five

The Derby crowd is finally shaping up, both figuratively (we now know that filly Proud Spell is out of the Derby, meaning that lucky Bob Black Jack is now in...Eight Belles is still a question mark) and literally, as the contenders work out over the Louisville track prior to the big day. With Colonel John (5f in 57.8), Big Brown (5f in 58.6), Eight Belles (5 f in 58.2), and Cool Coal Man (4f in 47.4) burning up the training track, it may be easy to ignore the comparatively ho hum performances this morning of my two Asmussen sweeties Pyro (4f in 49 and 4/5) and Z Fortune (4f in 51).

However, I refuse to be cast down by the more precocious morning efforts put out by some Derby hopefuls. I note that Pyro has never been what I'd call a sharp worker. Even his bullet works can hardly carry that title. In fact, just before his impressive Risen Star score, Pyro worked 5 furlongs in 1:00 and 4/5. Certainly nothing to sneeze at, but in no way eye catching. No, I think he's right on track; though Jerry Bailey, who, during the Lexington Stakes broadcast, said that he would be paying very close attention to Pyro's final works, cannot be too pleased with this non-showing combined with the obscurity of his second to last workout (there was so much fog that day that the Keenland clockers could not assign a time to the workout). I would be unsurprised to see this great colt fall in the esteem of that great former jockey by the time the post draw coverage rolls around.

I, too, am in preparations for the Derby. I have purchased my yearly bottle of Woodford Reserve. I am planning the appetizers with great care. My (very classy) emailed invites have gone out.

In other news

-Pepper's Pride made history this weekend; joining Citation, Cigar, Mister Frisky and Hallowed Dreams as the only throughbreds to win 16 races in a row. She looks to break that mark later this summer.

-Harlem Rocker triumphed over the highly regarded (and recent Derby field dropouts) J Be K and Face the Cat. Which, if nothing else, should make one person very happy.

No comments: