Sunday, March 30, 2008

That's more like it

I had a sneaking suspicion that my luck at picking horses earlier this season was nothing more than that...luck. Alas, my hunch turned out to be true. I seem to have returned to my usual position of being usually wrong, with a few flashes of burning insight and the occasional "sure thing" pulling through for me. Let's start our weekend recap with the most heartening of performances.

Dubai World Cup

Having finished 3rd, 1st and 2nd respectively in America's three classic races, having compiled an overall race record of 6-1-2 in 9 previous lifetime races, which includes a win in the prestigious Breeder's Cup Classic, and having been named America's champion 3-year old male and Horse of the Year of 2007, one might question if Curlin had anything left to prove. Here in America he'd already been crowned king, but he still had to prove to the world that he was the best...the greatest...the finest piece of horseflesh prancing upon our tiny globe.

He did not disappoint.

Coming around the curve at the Dubai track, seemingly neck and neck with front runners Well Armed and Asiatic Boy, I have to admit I was concerned for a moment. Paused with the two leaders, having yet to switch his leads properly, the champion looked poised either for a romp or a complete failure. And then, seconds later, a collective sigh of relief could be sensed from thousands waiting with baited breath everywhere from Dubai to California. Drawing away from his opponents with relative ease, Curlin drove forward to win by 7 and 3/4 lengths, the largest margin in the history of the world's richest race.

And he made it look like a walk in the paddock.

None of my other picks even came close to the money horses, but really, who cares? This wasn't meant to be their race. Hell, it wasn't even meant to be the race of the two quality horses that Curlin left in his dust at the head of the stretch. This race belonged to Curlin, and we must thank him for giving us the experience.

Photo: Taken from The Aspiring Horseplayer

Florida Derby

What. The. Heck.

I sat there on my purple couch, watching my favorite Fierce Wind cruising to the rear, and said aloud, "Oh, that's not good." He finished 10th, which is at least one place better than my other favorite, Elysium Fields, who finished 11th in the twelve horse field. I'd call that a perfect storm of suckage. However, I shall try to be kind and not let my emotions take ahold of me and take away from the triumphs of those colts who actually did manage to finish in the money.

Big Brown made himself a perfect three for three with his romp in the Florida Derby. I have to admit, I never saw it coming. I just don't like speed horses this late in spring. I don't trust them to "go all the way". But you gotta admit that Big Brown has class. Unfortunately, it's the kind of class that puts me in mind of Bellamy Road. Remember him from a few years back? No, not really. Case rested.

Meanwhile, Smooth Air put in a nice performance finishing second, and likely buying himself enough graded earnings for a shot at the roses. Tomcito, the Peruvian mystery, was my sole good call. I was actually angry at the commentators before the race who were knocking him. I believe it was Randy Moss who said something along the lines of, "Of course he's never faced the caliber of horses we have here today." Oh, really? How do you know? I'm sorry, that's a tad Amero-centric of you. Maybe Peruvian stakes horses are not exactly the quality of American stakes horses, but South American wonders from the past have proved that this prejudice is mostly unfounded. Certainly, you'd have to admit that Peruvian stakes horses are at least as good as high quality American allowance horses...which is the most that winner and pre-race favorite Big Brown had ever faced previously. Tomcito proved that he had every right to be in this company, and if this hadn't been his first start in a new country (and his first start of 2008), I think he might seriously have given the eventual winner a run for his money.

You go Mystery Horse.

1. Fierce Wind- 10th
2. Elysium Fields- 11th

3. Tomcito- 3rd


And another thing? I still like Fierce Wind and Elysium Fields. I don't know what was up with the former's non-performance, but the way he was slipping steadily towards the back of the pack in mid-race did not look at all normal to me. I would not be surprised if, in the next few days, he turns up injured or sick. Unfortunately, there is absolutely zero chance of him being able to make the graded earnings necessary for a shot at the Derby this year. There goes another RttR slot wasted. As for Elysium Fields, I have absolutely no excuses. He got beat, and I don't know why. But I'm willing to give him another chance. Just one, mind you.

Shirley Jones

For the first time in a long time, a Malibu Moon has let me down. Sugar Swirl, who looked like the class of the race going into it, proved that she was. Baroness Thatcher backed up her dismal recent allowance performance with a second place finish I didn't think she had in her (honestly, I though she was on the slow decline to the breeding shed...my bad). Shaggy Mane put in a good performance, setting an honest pace and holding on to finish third. And Moon Catcher...sigh...can we just get this over with?

1. Mooncatcher- last
2. Sugar Swirl- 1st

3. Shaggy Mane- 3rd


Bonnie Miss

I know I didn't profile this one, but I feel the need to somehow make up for my otherwise crappy weekend. You'll just have to trust me that I liked She's All Eltish, who came in for the win. Really, I swear.

In other news

- Happy Birthday Secretariat. Did you happen to catch that monster chestnut taking on the world and winning with style yesterday? Yeah, I thought you might.

No comments: