Thursday, March 27, 2008

Caption this photo

Curlin: Oh yeah! I am the stuff!
Grey Lead Pony: Ugh! Gag me with a spoon.

News on the wire is that Curlin has drawn post 12 of 13 for the Dubai World Cup Saturday. Will it have any effect on his performance? I'm thinking no. I am more sure of his victory this year than I was of Invasor's last year. Mind you, the last time I felt this assured of a horse's performance was when Lost in the Fog failed to fire in the Breeder's Cup Sprint. You can put that one in the file of "races that broke my heart." There are just too many high class races in Dubai this weekend, with too many good foreign horses in them for me to focus on any race but this one. And I am apparently not alone in my enthusiasm. However, it has yet to inspire me to make Rocky references.

In other news

- Denis of Cork (Harlan's Holiday-Unbridled Girl, by Unbridled), recent impressive winner of the Southwest Stakes whose connections felt he needed a bit of a layoff afterwards, may not be able to enter the Wood Memorial (g.I) in New York because of "travel complications." Apparently his trainer is having problems arranging for a plane and doesn't want to keep his horse in a van for upwards of 16 hours. Okay, I've had horses...and I've had my share of trailering issues...so I get not wanting to push the horse into an unhappy situation. But are you telling me there are no friendly farms between Arkansas and New York where the driver and his charge couldn't get a night's rest before moving on to the Empire State? I'm thinking Denis' problem is not the drive but a bogie named War Pass; not to mention Court Vision, Giant Moon, Tale of Ekati and Texas Wildcatter...all probable starters for the Wood. Denis' connections now appear to be pointing him towards the Illinois Derby. Who's in that you ask? Well since Denis' stablemate Blackberry Road will now be scratched in favor of appearing in the Arkansas Derby (and why is Denis not just sticking around for that, I wonder), the answer is....ummm...no one.

- The owners of recently retired Rags to Riches have agreed to donate their royalties from the sales of the Breyer model horse in the image of their Champion filly to the Permanently Disabled Jockeys Fund. Wait a minute...Rags to Riches has her own Breyer model? Sorry, must stop blogging now and go buy one. Who am I to argue with charity?
Photo: Dubai Racing Club

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

C'mon - can't we get at least one verse of "eye of the tiger"?

:)

Thanks for the link love, by the way.

Go Curlin, go!!!!!