Friday, May 16, 2008

Preakness Preview

I haven't posted here in almost two weeks. I've all but stopped reading other people's racing blogs and my morning BloodHorse update. I haven't even managed to crack the Kentucky Derby re-cap edition of my BloodHorse subscription. It's sitting on my counter at home, gathering dust. Clearly, the Kentucky Derby has left me depressed this year.

And no, it's not just Eight Belles's loss. And it's not the having to explain to my co-workers and friends and random people who find out I'm a horse racing fan that- yes, it is horrible when a horse goes down like that, but accidents happen, and no there's really nothing you can do about it sometimes. And its not finding myself in the position of having to defend my favorite sport and training techniques and suspect racing surfaces and jockeys and less-than-squeaky-clean trainers and greedy owners. No, I've been through that before. I knew it was coming the instant I saw that grey form lying prone on the Churchill dirt.

I think it's more that I hate Big Brown.

I do, I admit it. I always feel a little resentment towards the winner of the Derby (which is invariably not the horse I would have chosen to win), but this year it's been worse than normal. I've had years where I didn't think the Derby winner would go on to win the Preakness, let along the remainder of the Triple Crown. Giacomo would be a good example. But never once have I not wanted the Derby winner to go on to wear the Black-Eyed Susans. So strong is my desire for another Triple Crown winner.

But I seriously want Big Brown to lose.

And it's not his fault. Not the horse at all. He's a cutie! He's got that weird white spot behind his left elbow. And he's done so much in what little time he's been on the track. He overcame what I personally saw as near insurmountable odds (the inexperience, the post position, etc.) to win with style. He went four wide that whole way around the Churchill track, and still finished like a champion. He proved that he was head and shoulders above the other horses in the race that day. And now he's going to Maryland to meet lesser (though fresher) competition.

It's hard to make a case for why he shouldn't win.

And my dear husband has promised, if he does sweep the Preakness, to take me to New York for my birthday present, to see a potential Triple Crown winner run. If only I could get excited.

I guess it's that there's nothing I hate more than arrogance. Nothing I hate more than the self-aggrandizing attitude his connections were exuding before the Derby. Nothing I hate more than people who invite the gods to strike them down for their presumption. And it kills me when people like that win. When it turns out that all their self-proclaimed superiority turns out to be correct. When they do things like deciding to retire their stud at 3, even before he's run his 5th race ever. When they can say, "Not only am I the greatest thing since sliced bread, but also, I told you so!"

But horses don't do that. They just love running. And this is something I just need to get over. And get over fast, because the Preakness is tomorrow. I'll be watching it on the little cabinet mounted TV in my parents kitchen as I roll endless rumaki and stuff countless mushrooms in preparation for my mother's 60th Birthday/Retirement party later that evening. Definitely not how I'd choose to watch the race for the Woodlawn Vase, but what can you do. Mom's only turn 60 once. So, without further ado, here is your Preakness pre-race analysis:

Preakness Stakes

When I started this analysis, Behindatthebar was one of my favorites for the race. However, it now appears he's been scratched because of a bruised foot. Alas, nothing can go right in this Triple Crown season. Thank goodness the Red Wings are still in the playoffs!

So, I've heard there's a horse named Big Brown in this race. Unfortunately, he makes the rest of the players look like amateurs. Undefeated in four lifetime starts, Beyer's consistently over 100, Kentucky Derby champion, blah-blah-blah. Let's just assume he's going in just about everybody's top spots and look at this as a race for second place.

Gayego (Gilded Time-Devil's Lake, by Lost Code) never had a chance in the Derby. He was one of the few horses in the race whose actual performance exactly matched what I had imagined in my pre-race mental constructions. Breaking from post 19, he was cut off by the rocket on his right and got lost in the shuffle of the 18 other horses on his left. He never got a chance to find his stride. But this time, he's on the outside of Big Brown. I think he perfectly represents the good horse with the horrible Derby trip, a not uncommon experience. And if anyone can bounce back from a bad prior performance and take Big Brown while he's busy planning his post-Preakness celebration, I think he's it. It's telling that his connections decided to keep him on the Triple Crown trail to threaten Big Brown when every other Derby starter flinched away to lick their wounds in the corner.

Another top contender, in my mind, is Giant Moon (Giant's Causeway-Moonlightandbeauty, by Capote). I loved this horse way back at the beginning of the season. He put in an awful performance in the mudddy Gotham (g.III), and though he managed to get up for 4th in the Wood Memorial (g.I), it was nothing spectacular. I can't say I really think he would have advanced much (or at all) on the top three Wood horses if given an extra 1/16th of a mile to run at them (which the Preakness would provide), but it did prove to me that his awful Gotham performance was not in the norm. I still like him, and he posted a bullet 4 furlongs in 47 and change on Tuesday to back me up.

I used to like Yankee Bravo (Yankee Gentlemen-Vicky Jane, by Royal Academy) too, but unlike Giant Moon, his recent disappointing performances have been...just that. Disappointing. No excuses. No signs of improvement. He's always there driving at the end, but without any apparent desire to make it there first. Of course, now that I've made this entirely arbitrary (and somewhat character based) assessment of him, he's probably going to do really well.

Tres Borrachos (Ecton Park-Pete's Fancy, by Peteski) made a good racde of it when he finished third behind Gayego and one of my Kentucky Derby favorites, Z Fortune, in the Arkansas Derby. But he likes to be near the pace, and if he does that in here that means he'll be butting heads with Mr. Brown (Mr. B? Big B? Double B? BB Gun? Seriously, Big Brown needs a good nickname). I think he'll lose that pissing contest.

My mom laughed at Icabad Crane (Jump Start-Adorahy, by Rahy) when he won the Frederico Tesio Stakes in an impressive stretch duel. She liked his name. She was an English teacher before she was an administrator and she used to teach American myths and legends to her high school students. I think it would be amusing for Mr. Crane to make an appearance for her retirement party. That and he's won over the Pimlico surface before. I think he pulled a good post position for his kind of running, and I think he was unlucky finishing 3rd in the Rushaway.

Kentucky Bear and Stevil both did pretty well in the infamous Bluegrass (g.I), finishing third and fourth respectively. But the winners of the Bluegrass turned out to be not all that come Derby Day (as I had predcited), so this doesn't mean too much. Mind you, the losers of the Bluegrass didn't turn out to be all that either (which I did not predict), and so I guess I can't really say anything about these two one way or the other. Macho Again is too inconsistent for me to back solidly. Racecar Rhapsody is...actually, I don't know why Racecar Rhapsody is in this race. Same with Riley Tucker.

Finally, Hey Burn (Put It Back- Restraining Order, by Skip Trial). He's been crushed by Big Brown before, but then who hasn't at this point? Before that he was a rapidly improving, rising star of the horse racing world. He came back from his Florida Derby (g.I) to do very well in the Holy Bull Stakes (g.III), admittedly against moderate company.

1. Big Brown (sigh)
2. Gayego
3. Hey Burn
4. Icabad Crane


Oh, and can I mention again how much I hate that they re-named the Sir Barton Stakes after Barbaro? Last year's inaugural winner (well, inaugural in that it was the first time the race had ever been run under its new name) was Chelokee, who was trained by Barbaro's former trainer, Michael Matz. Chelokee broke down in the stretch of the Alysheba Stakes on Oaks Day and is still touch and go. Do you see a pattern here? I think Barbaro, and all things associated with him, must be cursed. Do you know its bad luck to re-christen a ship? I think it may be the same thing with horse races.

1 comment:

Jessica C. said...

I feel the same and it's all about the connections. Not just the arrogance they've displayed, but Dutrow's brazen admission of using Winstrol and his cavalier attitude toward his lengthy record. Like I said elsewhere -- the horse is blameless, but there's an asterisk next to his name regardless. I can't comfortably back Big Brown or work up much excitement for him ...