Saturday, May 3, 2008

D-Day

For years before I could legally drink, I threw a yearly Derby party. Once I could legally drink (okay, maybe a little before then) I started making mint juleps to fortify my friends through a long day of racing coverage. I learned very quickly that mint juleps suck. No seriously, I firmly believe that no one in their right mind would ever actually drink these horrors on purpose, were it not traditional. Long ago, they were a Southern "medicine", sipped on long back porches by invalids. Everyone knew back then that the worse medicine tasted, the more effective it was. And so why anyone would, in modern times, drink such a concoction for pleasure, continually eludes me. However, after years of trial and error, I finally managed to develop a mint julep recipe which, if not good, is at least palatable.

The key, apparently is good bourbon. During my years living in the student ghetto, I could not comprehend spending $30-$40 dollars on any form of alcohol, and that seems to have been the root of my problem. I now buy Woodford Reserve ($35), which is the official bourbon of both the Kentucky Derby and Playboy, so you know it has to be good. Now, without further ado, here it is:

Becky's Not Too Horrible Mint Julep Recipe

8 cups water
4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons mint extract
Bourbon (Woodford Reserve, or similar good quality)
Crushed Ice
Fresh Mint

Combine water and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. When water is fully boiled, remove saucepan from heat and allow to cool. Add mint extract. Chill mixture for at least 2-3 hours (I prefer overnight). To make drink fill official 1973 Kentucky Derby mint julep glass with ice. Add 1 part bourbon to 2-3 parts mint syrup. Garnish with fresh mint.

In other news

- On my way home from work yesterday I called my parents, had them put the Kentucky Oaks on their TV, turn up the volume, and hold the phone close up so I could hear the race live. All the way around the track I was hearing my two favorites...Bsharpsonata and Proud Spell...neck and neck for the lead. Until the final furlong, when suddenly I didn't hear my girl Bsharpsonata's name being called anymore. At the wire, it was Proud Spell, followed by Little Belle and Pure Clan. Bsharpsonata was fifth. My co-worker, and man on the ground in Louisville, who had been calling and texting me all day for choices, was displeased. Luckily, I'd also told him to bet on Little Belle (who had also won on mud before). His wife had put her to show, so they won some money. Oh well, good job Proud Spell! Let's see if your stablemate can make it happen with the big boys today.

- On a much more somber note, yesterday Chelokee broke down in the stretch of the Alysheba. His rider, Ramon Dominguez, walked it off. Chelokee was thought to have broke his right front cannon bone and was vanned to Rood and Riddle equine hospital. It must have been like a nightmare replaying itself for trainer Michael Matz, who saw a very similar thing happen to his champion Barbaro two years ago in the Preakness. Chelokee, strangely enough, was also the inaugural winner of the Barbaro Stakes last year. Luckily, it turns out that Chelokee only dislocated his ankle, so it looks as though the tough colt will be all right.

- Hall of Fame trainer Frank Whitely Jr. died yesterday. Famous for training such greats as the ill-fated filly Ruffian, near Triple Crown winner Damascus, and three time Horse of the Year Forego, he will be missed.

No comments: