Thursday, May 1, 2008

Betting the Derby/Oaks

I have never bet the Derby. Or the Oaks for that matter. I've never gone, I don't support off-track betting establishments, and I've never been so lucky as to be at an actual race-track on the First Saturday in May. Putting $1 into an office and/or Derby party pool does not count. But this year....this year I have a friend going to the Derby. In repayment for my equine advice to him, and my explaining of how to read a past performance chart, he is willing to put some bets down for me while he's there. As such, for the first time in my life, I've had to think beyond who I think (want) to win and concentrate on what might actually make a profitable bet. He's leaving this afternoon for the rolling green hills of Kentucky, so I've had to set down my bets right quick. Here's what I've decided to spend a whole whopping $20 (it's all I would allow myself) on:

Kentucky Oaks-

$2 on Bsharpsonata to win
$2 exacta box of Bsharpsonata and Proud Spell

Kentucky Derby-

$2 on Pyro to win
$1 trifecta box of Pyro, Colonel John and Z Fortune
$2 on Smooth Air across the board

And yes n00bs, that actually does come to $20. Betting is weird like that.

I've instructed my friend to not cash the $2 win ticket in the incredibly unlikely event that Pyro actually wins the Derby. That ticket would be more precious to me than gold, and certainly worth more to me sentimentally than whatever payout Pyro would have.

1 comment:

Carrie P said...

Make a duplicate bet. Money is just as important as nostalgia. Save one, cash the other...?